In order to keep the competition fair and safe, only bats that are approved for use may be used during the Home Run Derby. Bats will be checked by event volunteers prior to use. If a bat is deemed unfit for use by the event volunteers, the participant will be allowed to use a different bat.
Bats meeting the following criteria will be allowed:
- Bats cannot be greater than 34 inches in length
- Bats cannot have a barrel greater than 2 5/8 inches in diameter (2 3/4 inches is NOT permissible)
- Non-wood bats must have the USA Baseball™ stamp, BBCOR stamp or be labeled with a BPF of 1.15 or less
Examples of bats that are unfit for use:
- Bats that are cracked, excessively chipped, warped or dented
- Any bat that has been modified from factory conditions (except for grip tape and/or pine tar)
- Any bat designated for “T-ball”
- Training or fungo bats
The lists above are not all inclusive and the event volunteers will have final say if a bat is fit for use. If you are unsure about your bat, please present it to the volunteers before your designated turn in the competition.